Excavations around 1940 brought to light various tombs from the 2nd century B.C., originally situated at the northern end of Nero’s Circus. They were richly decorated and frescoed pagan tombs, later flanked by Christian tombs, which were sometimes very poor. At the end of the necropolis is an aedicule (Trofeo di Gaio), which both legend and recent studies indicate as the Apostle Peter’s tomb.
- - -
Fabbrica di San Pietro
00120 Città del Vaticano (Europa)
email to: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel 0039 06 6988 5318
Fax 0039 06 698 73017
Excavations Office Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.: Closed Sunday and Holidays.