Founded by Pius VII Chiaramonti (1800-1823) for a collection of Roman busts and statues, the Museum was organized by the neoclassical sculptor Antonio Canova in 1807. There are about a thousand sculptures, including portraits of Emperors and gods, several fragments, friezes and relieves of sarcophagi. Noteworthy is a funerari monument of a miller dating from the 1st century A.D., which was found at Ostia.
Braccio Nuovo Gallery
Built by Pius VII and inaugurated in 1822. It contains Roman statues and Roman copies of Greek original statues; mosaics are set on the floors. The most remarkable works are the following: a statue of Augustus found at Prima Porta (north of Rome); a Roman copy of the Doryphorus from an original by the Greek sculptor Polykleitos (440 B.C.); two splendid gilded bronze peacocks, that may come from Hadrian’s Mausoleum, copies of which are in the Courtyard of the “Pigna”; the statue of Nile, a Roman copy of a 1st century Hellenistic statue originally found in the Temple of Isis, near the Pantheon and showing the great Egyptian river with its tributaries.