Pio-Christian Museum

Pio-Christian Museum

It contains Christian antiquities originally exhibited in the Lateran Museum. Founded by Pius IX in 1854, it consists of statues, sarcophagi, inscriptions and archaeological findings dating from the 6th century. Noteworthy is the statue of the Good Shepherd: it represents a beardless young man wearing a sleeveless tunic and a bag. The statue was restored in the 18th c.