In 1874, Brother Eusebio Ludvig Fronmen, former director of the pharmacy at the Hospital of St John of God on Tiber Island, opened the first Vatican Pharmacy at the request of the Secretary of State, Cardinal Antonelli.
In 1892, the first community of Brothers of St John of God (Fatebenefratelli) took up permanent residence in the Vatican. In 1917 the Pharmacy was moved near to St. Anne’s Gate.
In 1929, following the signing of the Lateran Treaty, the Vatican Pharmacy was moved to a more suitable location, in the Piazza del Belvedere, where it remains to this day.
Winter hours (from 1 September to 30 June): 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Summer hours (from 1 July to 31 August): 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Saturdays: 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Closed all Sundays and religious holidays in accord with Vatican calendar.
Pharmacy Telephone Numbers:
- tel: 06.698.898.06
- fax: 06.698.853.61
Shpping Office Telephone Numbers:
- tel: 06.698.898.06 + tasto 4