Founded in Rome in 1939 by Luigia Tincani, the «Maria SS. Assunta» University was originally only for students in women’s religious orders, and it had only one academic department. The first significant change took place in 1967 when the school opened its doors to lay women. The offering of a well-rounded education based on Christian principles in the Catholic tradition is still one of the University’s prime objectives. Over the years the University has increased its courses of study and degrees offered with an emphasis on formation for those going into teaching. In 1989 the University’s name changed to Libera Università Maria Santissima Assunta (LUMSA) and in the 90s new academic departments were added in law, the humanities and philosophy. Today eight thousand students are enrolled in the University with facilities in Rome, Palermo and Taranto, along with two smaller branches in Caltanisetta and Gubbio. The aerogramme stamp depicts the logo of “Maria SS. Assunta” university based on the first coat of arms from 1939.